Red Flag Day at the Beach

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
This afternoon I decide to head down to Horseshoe Bay to see if I can find some loot on the spring tide, it's a beautiful day and the sun is shining with just a light breeze to keep a pirate kewl.:arghh: However, 350 km to the NE a major storm is blowing and it is sending heavy surf at Bermuda so when I get to the beach the red signs warning people to stay out of the water are posted. As I cross the parking area on my way to the beach I chat with the guy who runs the shuttle that takes tourists from the beach up to the top of the hill for $2/person - 2 beachgoers have already been rescued from the surf today and one took a trip in an ambulance to the hospital. Okay, I'm going to have to size this up carefully before I head into the Briny.:pmad: Down the path I go to the beach and it is Really Rough:peek:, the average wave is 5 feet high, the occasional rogue is more than 7 feet - I don't care how crazy you are, That's Rough Surf! The seaweed is piled in a line up near the garbage cans at the very back of the beach so the spring tide and the heavy surf have really done a number on the beach, the slope is very gradual so a lot of sand has been moved around in the past 24 hours. The only people in the water are a few guys on surf boards, a couple of crazy teenagers bodysurfing and one surf pirate, Me.:arghh: The lifeguards are gone for the season so it's every man for himself.
Two rip tides are running which is making things pretty hairy, so I avoid them and go in no deeper than my waist, any deeper and I have too much bouyancy so I can't hold my own against the rips and the surf which are playing with me like I am a punching bag. Retrieving targets is hit and miss, with about 50% of the targets disappearing with the current, I'm hoping they were pull tabs by the way they disappeared. After an hour I am plum tuckered out so I head back to the jeep with my gear and a little loot. I grab the camera out of the glove box and snap a few pics, unfortunately the surfer dudes baled just before I did so I wasn't able to capture some of the spectacular wipe outs I saw.:pbiggrin:
The big find of the hunt was a pair of ladies sunglasses by Kate Spade - retail is $150 and these look like they just came out of the store. (my Princess likes them so it is a good deal - just saved myself $150 from the pair she didn't go out and buy):bthumb: Otherwise it was a half dozen pull tabs, a quarter and a penny - no other targets.

Cheers,

Attachments

Buster

King of Spam
Staff member
Eric, good score on the glasses..Be careful and watch your back out there..Chuck........:biggrin:

majakldragon

Well Known Member
Staff member
Administrator
Your one wild and crazy surf pirate. Those waves look wicked. Congrats on the princesses new sun glasses.

Mikey

TQ's Underwater Pirate
Ah yes... a man and the sea.... glad man made it back from the sea.
No lecture.. you know where the line is... walk it.. but beware if yah cross it.
Enjoy.... Mikey:bthumb:

bdahunter

TQ's Master Pirate
Ah yes... a man and the sea.... glad man made it back from the sea.
No lecture.. you know where the line is... walk it.. but beware if yah cross it.
Enjoy.... Mikey:bthumb:
It's true mate, you have to know how far you can push it and then stick to that limit. Midway through the hunt a german tourist in her late 20's waded out past where I was hunting, right to the edge of the break zone, I could see the plume of a rip tide starting to form about 25 feet beyond her, she had no idea of the danger she was in. I waved her in and thankfully she did as I was asking; it helps that I wear a red jacket from my SAR days when I hunt. She got into knee deep water and I think I managed to convey the danger to her, my German pretty much comes from Hogan's Heroes:laugh: and her English wasn't too much better. (makes you wonder if they have Hogan's Heroes in Germany):pwink: Anyway, I convinced her to go back to the beach and I'm glad I did because the next thing I saw was her stark naked daughter who looked around 4 yrs. old get bowled over by a wave that swept her off the wet sand, thankfully her mother was on her way back in and grabbed the little girl before she got too tumbled.:shock: You really have to be on your toes when you hunt the rough stuff.:bthumb:

Hi Eric, was down Horseshoe yesterday.
Don't no if you found the elderly Lady's yet, but i found out they are at the swimming hole at 06:30 till 07:00 from Mon to Fri.
All the best mate.