V3I Coil settings??

I just got my new 5" Excelerator coil for my new V3I. I went to the V3I Menu to adjust the loop selection for the excelerator coil to find there isnt one listed. Of course the only ones listed are Whites Coil selections. Therefore, what is the best selection to use while using the Kellyco 5" D2 coil. I have been using the 4 x 6 D2 selection? My buddy Gary uses the same 5" Excelerator Coil and uses the 10" D2 coil selection. There doesnt seem to be any difference? Does it really matter? Does anyone know the tech changes when using the different selections?

JohnnyK

I dont think it effects how your V3i runs, it just throws your depth readings off a bit. With my 5" Excelerator I use the 5.3 Eclipse coil size. Hows that 5" Excelerator working for you TK ? I like mine allot, goes pretty deep and I can crank the sensitivities up pretty hot with it, just takes a little longer to cover ground but boy it's great with separation in trash.
Good Hunting,
John

I dont think it effects how your V3i runs, it just throws your depth readings off a bit. With my 5" Excelerator I use the 5.3 Eclipse coil size. Hows that 5" Excelerator working for you TK ? I like mine allot, goes pretty deep and I can crank the sensitivities up pretty hot with it, just takes a little longer to cover ground but boy it's great with separation in trash.
Good Hunting,
John
John
I just enjoy using the 5" Excelerator. I am sure glad that I listened to my buddy Gary and went ahead on the purchase of this 5" coil. It works great in the trashy areas and gets good depth too. Plus, it is easy to pinpoint targets. Gary Had a 4 x 6 coil and sold it because of a pinpointing issue. Yes, you have to slow way down when hunting and you dont cover has much area. But it is well worth it. I was using the 5" excelerator when I found my first silver ring of the year. It was down about 7 inches.

So, you're using the 5.3 Eclipse setting. I was going to use that setting also, but it was my understand that the Whites 5.3 Eclipse coil is not a D2 coil. So I wasn't certain if I used that setting, would I lose a band or not. Therefore, I went to the 4 x 6 D2 setting, thinking is would be closer to a D2 coil. I just dont understand the technical information about what actually happens for each loops setting and how it effects the V3I especially when you're using a non Whites made coil. Now Gary uses the 10" D2 setting with his 5" excelerator and it doesnt seem to make any difference?? It would be nice to know what is actually happening when making a loop selection!!

hounddog

i was thinking about a v3i myself till i read this now i sceered sounds very intimidating to me i got the xlt now and i want to upgrade but not sure what whites to go to

Giant056

A lot of times I don't even change the coil size cause when in pinpoint I can usually get a good idea of the depth by how loud the target is. The only two coils that I use on my V3i are the D2 and the 4x6.

After working with the 5" Excelerator for awhile now, I have to say it is just simply the best. I use it all the time. I found that in local park high trash areas I set the gain on my V3i to 3. I still go down 3 to 5 inch. However the discriminator just works way better. You just dont need all of that power with this V3I. I just wish the 5" Excelerator had a coil cover. I wonder where I can find one?