Musket Balls and Cannon Balls?

teamroper

I have an invitation to go to an old battlefield. What kind of number(s) on my XLT should I be looking for in the Relic mode to find musket and cannon balls? I was told that the owner had found over 200 cannon balls himself. Should be a real adventure.

Drenthe

I have an invitation to go to an old battlefield. What kind of number(s) on my XLT should I be looking for in the Relic mode to find musket and cannon balls? I was told that they owner had found over 200 cannon balls himself. Should be a real adventure.
I dont own an XLT, but I do know that musket balls are lead and cannon balls are iron. So, I dont think that you will find cannon balls if you have your detector on any discriminating mode.

teamroper

So the way I understand it the "all metal mode" is the relic mode on my machine. Correct?

You see I found my first CW bullet this past weekend in the "Coins and Jewelry" mode, not in the "Relic" mode. When I came across it my machine showed VDI 78 and had the dime and penny icon, but the sound was very irratic, making me think it was some kind of junk. Of course I wasn't thinking of lead, Duh! So as soon as I pulled up the bullet I went and tried using my MD'er in the "Relic" mode but there seemed to be so much junk in the area that I couldn't make heads or tails of what I was seeing. There were a lot of targets in the minus range and then the sounds in that mode were of a different frequency which threw me another curve ball. I guess I was just expecting to see the bullets (and any cannon balls) in say the 10-30 VDI range for example. Can anybody help me out on understanding the Relic mode. Do bullets and such have a "basic" range?